THE AUSTRALIAN AND INDONESIAN GOVERNMENTS DO NOT WANT YOU TO SEE THIS DOCUMENTARY
This is part 2 of an excellent and rare TV documentary about West Papua. It was broadcast in prime time on Channel 4 (UK). A year on from its original screening it still has not been seen in any other country.
Part 2 (6'57"):
• Indonesian Independence Day in Wamena, and the troops march as a show of force. The atmosphere is tense.
• Footage of the violent March 2006 student protest in Jayapura.
• Interviews with some of the protesting students who are now hiding out in the mountains. Students say the reason for the protest was the lack of sharing of profits from the giant American-run Freeport gold and copper mine in Timika.
• A contact gives Evan Williams a video he has shot showing environmental destruction around Freeport.
(Originally broadcast on Channel 4, October 20 2006, 7.35pm)
1) 33 years since the death of Arnold Ap - 2) AFTER THE SHOOTING INCIDENT, FREEPORT WORKERS CONTINUE THE PLAN TO STRIKE 3) Were cement company interests behind change of forest land classification? ...
25 seconds ago